Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance for Schools
Businesses are strongly encouraged to coordinate with state and local health officials so timely and accurate information can guide appropriate responses. Local conditions will influence the decisions that public health officials make regarding community-level strategies.
FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES:
State of California Office of the Governor
Department of Public Health
Department of Education
Schools Insurance Authority
- Risk Management & Legal Updates with Patti Eyres - Schedule (.pdf)
Orders & REGULATIONS:
NEW: State of California Safe Schools For All Hub - January 14, 2021
California's Safe Schools for All Plan provides the support and accountability to establish a clear path to minimize in-school transmissions and enable, first, a phased return to in-person instruction, and then ongoing safe in-person instruction.
- The Safe Schools For All Hub consolidates key resources and information related to COVID-19 and schools. New resources will be added to the Hub on a routine basis.
- Letter - January 14, 2021 To: Local Health Officers and County Superintendents, From: Safe Schools for All Team, RE: Safe Schools for All Plan and Key Near-Term Issues Regarding School Reopenings
- Consolidated Framework - A single consolidated framework and updated guidance for K-12 schools
- COVID-19 School Guidance Checklist
- Collection of Guidance/Resources
Cal/OSHA Emergency Regulation - COVID-19 Prevention - November 30, 2020
COVID-19 Prevention - GENERAL INDUSTRY SAFETY ORDERS, New Sections 3205, 3205.1, 3205.2, 3205.3 and 3205.4
- SIA Member Alert
- Overview of the new regulations
- Template Written COVID-19 Prevention Program (.doc)
- Customizable Employee Training Presentation (.ppt)
- Customizable Employee Training Handout (.doc)
- Template Protocol for Addressing Workplace Exposure to COVID-19 (.doc)
- Template Notice to Employee of Potential Exposure to COVID-19 in the Workplace (.doc)
- Flowchart with Trigger/Response Requirements (.pdf)
SB 1159 - COVID-19 WORK COMP PRESUMPTION & MANDATORY EMPLOYER REPORTING REQUIREMENTS (SEPTEMBER 22, 2020)
Employers - General Guidance
- California Blueprint for a Safer Economy - Find the status of activities in your county
- Follow the Employer Playbook for a Safe Reopening
- Industry guidance to reduce risk
- Guidance on Returning to Work or School Following COVID-19 Diagnosis
- Responding to COVID-19 in the Workplace for Employers
- Side by Side Comparison of COVID-19 Paid Leave
Employers – Office Workspaces
- Follow this guidance for office workspaces to create a safer environment for workers.
- Review the guidance, prepare a plan, and post the checklist for office workspaces in your workplace to show customers and employees that you’ve reduced the risk and are open for business
Isolation & Quarantine - California Department of Public HealtH
- Guidance on Returning to Work or School Following COVID-19 Diagnosis
- Quarantine Guidance has been updated by the CDPH and the Governor's Executive Order - December 14, 2020
- Self-Quarantine Instructions for Individuals Exposed to COVID-19
- Self-Quarantine Guidance for Individuals Exposed to COVID-19 These instructions are for people who have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Self-Isolation Instructions for Individuals Who Have or Likely Have COVID-19
- Self-Isolation Guidance for Individuals Who Have or Likely Have COVID-19 These instructions are for people who have or likely have COVID-19. They include information for households, families, caregivers, or close contacts.
Face Coverings - CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
- Guidance for the Use of Face Coverings - November 16, 2020
- "People in California must wear face coverings when they are outside of the home, unless one of the exemptions applies."
- Guidance from the California Department of Public Health on Face Sheilds - November 17, 2020
- Face coverings, masks, and respirators – Information & Overview
- Face coverings, masks & respirators - Handout
- Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19 – CDC Recommendations
- Voluntary use of N95 masks - Cal/OSHA
ENTRANCE POSTINGS – COVID-19
- Entrance Symptom Screening Checklist (SIA Sample Poster)
- Workplace Safety Social Distancing Information (SIA Sample Poster)
- Face Covering Requirements for General Public (CDC Poster)
WORKPLACE POSTINGS – COVID-19
- CDC What You Should Know About COVID-19
- CDC Symptoms of COVID-19
- CDC Stay Home if You’re Sick
- CDC Face Covering Requirements for Employees
- CDC Handwashing
- CDC General Practices for Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
- CDC How to Protect Yourself and Others
- Protocol for Addressing Workplace Exposure to COVID-19 - SIA Template (.doc)
- Hour Zero Online Training for SIA Members on COVID-19
- Employee Training PowerPoint Presentation (.pdf)
- Employee Training Handout (.pdf)
- Video - COVID-19 Stop the Spread of Germs
- Video - COVID-19 Worker Safety Message
- Employee Travel during a Pandemic - Sample Policy Template (.pdf)
ATHLETICS, ACTIVITIES & Childcare COHORTS
- Youth Sports
- CDPH - Outdoor and Indoor Youth and Recreational Adult Sports - December 14, 2020
Guidance for Small Cohorts/Groups of Children and Youth
The guidance related to cohorts sets minimum guidelines for providing specialized, targeted support services, necessary in-person child supervision and limited instruction, and facilitation of distance learning in small group environments in ways that maintain the focus on health and safety to minimize transmission. This guidance enables schools to provide specialized services for students with disabilities and English learners, and in-person support for at-risk and high-need students. See the answers to frequently asked questions about cohort guidance.
CALIFORNIA HEALTHY SCHOOL ACT & INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT (IPM)
- Do I need training to use a disinfectant?
- IPM Training for School Staff - Online Training Options
- Reminders for Using Disinfectants for Schools and Child Care
- What About Hand Sanitizers?
- EPA Approved Cleaners
- Disinfecting Fogger Tips
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Pandemic Preparedness in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws
SIA MEMBER RESOURCES:
ASSUMPTION OF RISK/WAIVER OF LIABILITY AGREEMENT FORMS - COVID-19
- FORM: PARTICIPATION IN EXTRACURRICULAR SPORT, CLUB OR ACTIVITY (Used in conjunction with the appropriate PARTICIPATION form) (.doc)
- EX: Student participation in athletics conditioning or extracurricular activity
- FORM: DISTRICT TRANSPORTATION COVID-19 PROTOCOLS AGREEMENT (Used in conjunction with the appropriate TRANSPORTATION form) (.doc)
- EX: Voluntary student transportation on a school bus
- FORM: USE OF FACILITIES ADDENDUM (Used in conjunction with USE OF FACILITIES AGREEMENT) and the appropriate PARTICIPATION form) (.doc)
- EX: 3rd party use of district facilities such as Boy/Girls Scouts
- FORM: EMPLOYEE OF OUTSIDE ORGANIZATION ON-SITE (.doc)
- EX: Employee of an outside program offered on a district campus such as childcare or extended learning.
- FORM: PARTICIPANT IN OUTSIDE ORGANIZATION ON-SITE PROGRAM (.doc)
- EX: Student participation in an outside program offered on a district campus such as childcare or extended learning.
- FORM: STAFF MEMBER'S CHILD(REN) ON-SITE (.doc)
- EX: Staff member authorized by the district and site administration to bring their children) on-campus during their regularly scheduled workday, and under the direct supervision of the parent/staff member.
PATTI EYRES RESOURCES
- 8-27-20: School Districts and COEs webinar on COVID 19 Scenarios
- July 2020: Outline for COVID-19 10-step interactive process
- 5-28-2020: Transitioning to reopening schools
- 3-20-2020: COVID-19 Q&A