Member Alerts provide guidance on regulations that affect our member districts.
- Vandalism Online Anonymous Reporting Tool - April 2020
With the closure of schools due to COVID-19, many districts have begun to see a rise of vandalism on their school properties. As a proactive measure, SIA has engaged the CatapultEMS Anonymous Reporting Solution to help prevent future vandalism occurrences. SIA sponsors the use of Catapult as an anonymous reporting tool for members, consistent with SIA’s ESCAPE Program for prevention of Sexual Abuse and Molestation (SAM) to provide the ability to anonymously report educator/staff misconduct.
- Oct 2019 - Member Alert - NASDTEC Clearinghouse Implementation
SIA has engaged the services of the NASDTEC (National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification) LEA Clearinghouse. This service will allow all SIA Member Districts to conduct a simple, online check of the LEA Clearinghouse database for any administrative action taken against a prospective hire/volunteer in any of the 50 states. The resulting information will be used to aid your decision making during the hiring process.
With the increasing pressure on districts to prevent adult sexual misconduct and child sexual abuse, it is important to have a large variety of tools in your toolbox. For this reason, we are highly encouraging all SIA members to take action now. Your district will need to complete the following steps to begin utilizing the service.
- Identify a District point of contact with the authority to sign the written agreement for use.
- Executive the signed agreement for use between your district and NASDTEC.
- Identify one or more district HR employees who will complete the online check.
- HR Employee(s) watch the training video and download the LEA Clearinghouse Guide/Handbook
- Begin conducting checks on all employment candidates and volunteers.
- Automated External Defibrillators (AED) in Schools - Member Alert AB 2009 - Oct 2018 and NEW AB 1595 Sep 2019
Recent legislation, AB 2009 (September 2018) Effective July 1, 2019, states; "any school district or charter school, that elects to offer any interscholastic athletic program, shall acquire at least one AED for each school within the district and place the AED within 3-5 minutes of any athletic event.
AB 1595 clarifies that the requirement is for each school that participates in the program within the jurisdiction of the school district or the charter school. See Member Alert for further information.
- Possession of a firearm in a school zone - Member Alert AB 424 - Nov 2017
On October 15, Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 424 which removes school superintendents’ authority to allow individuals with CCW permits to carry concealed weapons on campus.
- Competitive Cheer - Member Alert AB 949 - Jun 2017
The California Interscholastic Federation, in consultation with the State Department of Education has worked to develop guidelines, procedures and safety standards for the purpose of classifying competition cheer as an interscholastic sport.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Member Alert AB 1639 - May 2017
The Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act, AB 1639, enacts several requirements for all K-12 California School Districts with students participating in athletic activities.
- Suicide Prevention Policy - Member Alert AB 2246 - Apr 2017
Effective July 1, 2017, new Education Code section 215 requires local education agencies (LEAs) serving any of grades 7 to 12 to adopt a policy on pupil suicide prevention for those grades.