Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Member Alert AB 1639 - May 2017
The Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act, Eric Paredes Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act, AB 1639, enacts several requirements for all K-12 California School Districts with students participating in athletic activities.
Among the requirements, school districts are encouraged to post on their Internet web sites information and material regarding Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) has made such information available on their website at http://www.cifstate.org/sports-medicine/sca/index. This information includes printable materials such as:
- SCA Flyer/ SCA Flyer (Spanish)
- SCA Fact Sheet / SCA Fact Sheet (Spanish)
- SCA Risks and Symptoms
- SCA Frequently Asked Questions
- Cardiac Chain of Survival
- SCA Testimonials
- A Parents Guide to Sudden Cardiac Arrest (Video)
- Informational Videos
- Eric Paredes Save a Life Foundation
Additional requirements of AB 1639 include:
Training for all coaches as of the start of the 2017-2018 school year and every two years after initial training. Training is available as an online video from the CIF.
- NFHS Sudden Cardiac Arrest Course (Free) http://nfhslearn.com/courses/61032/sudden-cardiac-arrest
Annual notice to all parents/guardians of students participating in athletic activities.
- SCA Parent/Student Review Form (ENGLISH) http://www.cifstate.org/sports-medicine/sca/SCA_PARENT_REVIEW_FORM.pdf
- SCA Parent/Student Review Form (SPANISH) http://www.cifstate.org/sports-medicine/sca/SCA_CIF_Parent_Review_Form_Spanish.pdf
Removal of students experiencing symptoms of SCA and further medical evaluation and release from a physician.